SCIENCE has confirmed what folklore had believed for decades;
legendary Australian racehorse Phar Lap was killed by arsenic poisoning.
Less than a year after the Herald Sun revealed tests were being performed to confirm Big Red's demise, scientists yesterday announced the 1930 Melbourne Cup champion died from a lethal oral dose of arsenic.
The five-year-old New Zealand thoroughbred died in California in 1932. Since his death, speculation has been rife over what killed the giant-hearted hero.The results proved the champ died from a a large dose of the toxic drug given to him in the last 30 to 40 hours of his life.